Intro to Geocaching Quiz for students (can be used as a warm-up or early morning work exercise before actual instruction begins).
This quiz should be completed after you view the video below.
1. Define geocaching.
2. What type of device is used when geocaching?
3. What do you need to plug into your unit in order to find a cache?
4. Can you hunt indoors?
5. What do you sign when you find a cache?
6. Name the website you can visit to find out more information about geocaching.
These directions are for use with the Garmin eTrex H GPS Unit.
1. Use the page button to access the "Mark" field and press enter.
2. Use the arrow keys to scroll down to the coordinates and press enter.
3. Use the arrow keys to move from number to number and then press enter to select the number(s) for your coordinate.
4. Once you have entered the coordinates press the page key to go back to the "Mark" field homepage. If the coordinates are correct, press enter.
5. Use the page button to access the "Waypoints" field and press enter.
6. Use the arrow key to select the waypoint of the cache you want to hunt and press enter.
7. Now scroll down to "Go to" to begin the hunt.
See how a teacher in Texas is using geocaching to take her lesson plan out of the classroom and into the real world. Students learn navigation, directions, math and that's just the beginning. Subscribe to this YouTube channel to be one of the first to see new videos!
Try finding these caches on campus. They were hidden Tuesday, October 24th by Sarah Steele and LaKeshia Darden. Caches will be removed by Friday, October 27th.
Visit the itunes or Google play store and type geocaching in the search bar to view more available apps.
Below is the lesson plan and additional resources for a geocaching lesson titled, Around CU in 80 Minutes, that was inspired by the tale of Around the World in 80 Days. Each cache represents one of the destinations represented in the novel. This lesson reaches across content areas to include geography and literature as well as 21st Century Skills.