Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Children’s literature resources:
- Children's Book Council -A non-profit trade association of children's book publishers and producers of related materials pertaining to children's books and literature.
- International Children's Digital Library -The ICDL Foundation promotes tolerance and respect for diverse cultures by providing access to the best of children's literature from around the world.
- Carol Hurst Children's Literature Site -This is a collection of reviews of great books for kids, ideas of ways to use them in the classroom and collections of books and activities about particular subjects, curriculum areas, themes and professional topics.
- Storyline Online -Streaming video program featuring famous people reading children's books aloud
- Coretta Scott King Book Award Curricular Resources -The Coretta Scott King Book Award, founded in 1969, honors books that "promote understanding and appreciation of the culture of all peoples and their contribution to the realization of the American dream of a pluralistic society."
For lesson planning:
- Famous North Carolinians -Listing of famous North Carolinians.
- Learn NC -LEARN NC, a program of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Education, provides lesson plans, professional development, and innovative web resources to support teachers, build community, and improve K-12 education in North Carolina.
- Library of Congress Teachers Page - Contains ready-to-use materials that bring the Library's primary sources into the classroom.
- NC Live Video Collection -Online videos from PBS including Ken Burns', Masterpiece Theater, Scientific American, American Experience, and more.
- Questia Free Books -More than 5,000 fiction and non-fiction titles are available through Questia for free.
- Search-Ebooks -Search EBooks is a service dedicated to helping you find free ebooks. When you find an ebook on Search EBooks you can view a preview of it, download, or grab an embed code without ever leaving the search results page.
- Project Gutenberg Audio Books -Project Gutenberg makes audio eBooks available for some of the same great literature available in plain text. The listings are divided into two categories: Human-read and computer-generated audio books. These files can be very large, so are not well suited for people using a modem or other low-speed connection.
- Project Gutenberg Books in Spanish
- North Carolina History Project -An edited, evolving, and free online encyclopedia of North Carolina that also includes commentaries, lesson plans, and a community calendar.
Curriculum Materials/Media Librarian