1. Unlock door with Campbell University ID if necessary.
2. Record arrival on timesheet.
a. Timesheets are located in the top drawer of the desk on the side closest to the office in the binder called CUSOM Student Worker Timesheets and Training Checklists.
3. Take the door count. In order to do this, take the magnet that you use to clear the counter and hold it on the left side of the door counter above the LED display that is located on the right side and the door count number will show up. Once you have the door count number just keep holding it there and it will clear to zeroes.
4. Wake up the desk computer and login using the following information.
a. Login: library
b. Password: Osteo1
5. Refill the paper in the copiers and check the indicator panels of both printers for errors, maintenance, or toner notifications.
a. If you notice any issues with the printers, please let the assistant medical librarian know and they will check into it.
b. Once the assistant medical librarian has checked the printers they may ask you to help them correct the issue. This will only happen if the issue is toner needs replacing, the waste toner box needs to be replaced, or there is a paper jam. Anything more complicated will be handled by the assistant medical librarian in cooperation with IT.
c. If you replace either the toner or the waste toner box you MUST immediately email Chuck Toscano (email@example.com) and give him the "name" i.e. C754/284 of the printer and the color of the toner cartridge so he knows the correct part to order. In the case of the waste toner box just give him the "name" of the printer and he will do the rest.
6. On the circulation desk computer, open, log into, and minimize Workflows (circulation module).
a. How to get into Workflows
i. Double click the Workflows icon on the desktop (blue computer monitor with WF in it).
1. Campbell ID: ostudent
2. Password: cusom
7. On the circulation desk computer, open and log into LibAnswers (this is one of the preset tabs in both Firefox and Chrome that comes up).
a. How to get into LibAnswers
i. Login: CUSOMlibrary@campbell.edu
ii. Password: CUSOM1
8. Mark as used any items on the cart.
a. How to Mark an Item as Used
i. In Workflows, click the tab that says special in the left hand column.
ii. Click Mark Item Used.
iii. Scan the barcode that is on the back of the item.
9. Reshelve the resource.
1. Just before closing time, make sure any books are marked as used and shelved.
2. Straighten the library, pick up litter, push in chairs, and straighten the circulation desk.
3. Email the medical librarian and assistant medical librarian if anything unusual occurred (for example, the copier kept jamming, the door locked early or intermittently throughout your shift, there was a power failure, customer got angry, etc.) or if you notice any other situations that you think are important. If the doors don't lock at the appropriate time please be sure to make the security guard on duty aware so they can make a check throughout the night. Also, please let the assistant medical librarian know so they can put in a work order.
4. Log off the computers. (They do not need to be turned off).
5. Get home safely.
1. The medical library desk schedule is prepared based upon student worker availability. Student workers are responsible for informing the graduate assistant AND assistant medical librarian about their availability to work. Every effort will be made to prepare the schedule well in advance.
2. Timesheets are located in the top drawer of the desk on the side closest to the office in the binder called CUSOM Student Worker Timesheets and Training Checklists. Staff members are responsible for regularly completing their time sheets.
3. In the event of a serious illness or emergency, the graduate assistant in cooperation with the medical librarian/assistant medical librarian will locate a substitute.
4. Medical library staff are expected to report promptly for their shifts. They should call or text and give warning if they will be unavoidably late. Excessive tardiness and absences may be cause for dismissal.
a. On weekend mornings, the assigned staff member should contact the security staff if he/she is going to be late. The number for the security desk is 910-893-1804. If you are the afternoon shift on the weekends you should call the medical library or text the person you are relieving and let them know you are going to be late.
5. Student workers and/or part-time staff will not work the weeks of Christmas and New Year's and should budget accordingly.
We collect statistics to help measure the library's usage and to make intelligent decisions regarding hours, staffing, purchasing, etc.
1. A weekly statistics sheet is kept at the desk. Make a single tally mark for each person who enters the library in the appropriate time block. If the student comes in and sets their stuff down and leaves don't make another mark for them on the tally sheet when they come back.
a. Blank sheets are in a file in the bottom drawer to the right of the computer labeled Tally Sheets-Blank.
2. ILH means "In Library on the Hour". At the beginning of each hour, look around the library and count how many people are in the library. Record the number of people in the library (excluding library staff) at that time.
3. Do not record tally marks for library staff members who enter and exit the library.
4. Look up and smile, wave or otherwise greet people as they come through the door.
5. If a customer appears to be struggling with a task ( the copier, computer, locating a book, etc.) please offer assistance as soon as you notice- DO NOT wait to be asked.
6. Record reference and directional questions in the LibAnswers database. Complete as much information as possible. To understand the levels of the READ scale, hover the mouse above the number and read the description.